Friday, March 20, 2009

An Angel in Queens


I don't know if you read CNN.com today, I do every morning, trying to keep myself updated with the world. Today, a particular story captured my attention.

A Colombian man (go figure, look at last week's Thursday Treasures), by the name of Jorge Muñoz, a school bus driver, has dedicated almost all his salary and his free time to feeding homeless people. You read it right, a school bus driver. He goes to the same little spot in Queens every night at 9:30pm to feed fellow immigrants from latin american countries, europeans and, why not, american citizens. In this day and age everyone can use a little help. Jorge and his mom, Doris, make around 140 home cooked meals a DAY. The payback is homeless people smiling of gratitude, the best form of payment you can get.

If you want to know more about Jorge, his non-profit organization(someone helped him set it up, he has no time for entertainment, or computers) and how you can help, please click here: An Angel in Queens.org - he needs funds, of course, but he also needs clothing, soap and accessories, like hats and scarves, to help homeless people stay warm during harsh New York winters.

Personally, I'm amazed at his unselfish attitude, sharing the little he can with people that need a hand from anyone. I wish I was more like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment